DanceStation News: May/June 2019
Announcements/Reminders: Lots and lots of information—PLEASE READ ON!!! And try to hold on to this newsletter – it is highlighted just for your child!
Last day to order tights through the studio is this Friday, May 10th. I can get them for $10 which is usually a few dollars less than in the local dance stores. However, feel free to get tights on your own if you wish. No shiny tights please.
**Reminder: There IS regular class on Monday, May 27, Memorial Day.
- Picture Day is Sunday, June 2nd. Picture times will run from 9am – 6:30pm here at the studio. We would appreciate it very much if you would show up for the group pictures, even if you choose not to buy any. The picture schedule will be posted by the front door.
- Dress Rehearsal (means in costume!) for The Fairy Garden (ballet)/Somewhere Over the Rainbow (tap and jazz) and The Jewel Kingdom afternoon and evening ballets is on Friday, June 7th, at McKendree University’s Hettenhausen Center for the Arts, in Lebanon IL. Please arrive 30 minutes early to each rehearsal with hair and make-up done and students should change into their costumes once they arrive.
Friday, June 7th: The Fairy /Garden/Somewhere Over the Rainbow: 9am-12:30pm
- A Night at the Ballet (afternoon show) 12:45-5pm
- A Night at the Ballet (evening show) 5:30-7:30pm
** again this year** We needed to spread our dress rehearsals out over two days this year, because the 14 hour Friday dress rehearsal is just too long. Dancers in Jazz/Tap/Modern and Broadway in both the afternoon and evening shows will have their Dress Rehearsal for those dances at the Hett on Wednesday night this year (due to a band concert on Thursday at the Hett we cannot use the auditorium that night).
Wednesday, June 5th – 4-6:30 Welcome to the 80’s (afternoon tap, jazz, modern, boys hip hop, bway)
Wednesday, June 5th – 6:30-10pm Don’t Just Dance – Move the World (evening tap, jazz, etc)
- Recital Day is Saturday, June 8th at McKendree University. Please arrive 30-40 minutes before the performance and change into costumes once you arrive. Show times are:
- The Fairy Garden/Somewhere Over the Rainbow 11:30 AM
- The Jewel Kingdom/Welcome to the 80’s 2 PM
- The Jewel Kingdom/Don’t Just Dance – Move the World 6:30 PM
- Ticket prices are the same as last year. They will be on sale at the front desk the week before the recital. Adult tickets are $15 and children (under 12) are $10. Please do not lose your tickets – or you will have to buy new tickets to enter. Sorry! Just like any movie theater or performance hall, you will have to buy new tickets if you lose them or leave them at home.
- Parents/guardians will need to pay for the 5th/June installment before you purchase your recital tickets. Once the recital is over, families take vacations and it can be difficult to track down missing payments. Most common June question: Why are you paying for a full month? It is because tuition is calculated by the semester, not the month, and then broken down into five equal payments for your convenience.
- Recital Order forms. We are combining all recital orders on one form (except class pictures) for your convenience this year. Rather than have a ton of sign-up sheets in the lobby during May for flowers, DVD’s, t-shirts, tights, etc. We are sending home one order form for all of these items this year. There will be extra forms in the lobby if you lose it or need additional forms. All items need to be pre-paid, so a check or cash is due with the order form or DVD’s and tights will not be ordered. In years past we have had many tights or DVD’s ordered that are then never paid for or picked up. T-shirt and tight orders are due by May 10th, the rest are due by June 2nd (picture day). You may sign up for all at the same time and turn in one check, just write it on the memo. NONE are mandatory. You do not have to buy tights, t-shirts, DVD’s, or flowers from us. Flowers are an SSDC fundraiser as is our bake sale. All proceeds go into the SSDC scholarship fund.
- Sign-up sheets for our summer sessions/camps are also in the waiting room. We have some fun classes, the very popular kid’s camp (this year it’s a Circus theme), a Disney Pre-k and Kinder-camp, and many guest teachers this summer. Please sign up by the end of May so we can have enrollment numbers for each session.
- **Full cast rehearsals** The week before the recital (June 3-6) there are no regularly scheduled classes. Instead, we have a few extra practices here at the studio before we move to the Hett on Wednesday. Because each ballet tells a story, we need to have full rehearsals (some dress rehearsals) here at the studio before we get to the stage at McKendree. This is very a busy week, but it all finishes in nicely polished/professional shows. J
*please make good use of street parking and NOT the ICE CREAM LOT during the large rehearsals and picture day*
Mon. June 3rd at DanceStation: 4:30-8pm The Jewel Kingdom (evening show in costumes)
8:30-9:30 SSDC rehearsal
Tues. June 4th at DanceStation: 4-6:30 The Fairy Garden/Over the Rainbow (no costumes) However, all students will need both ballet and tap shoes.
6:45-9:30pm The Jewel Kingdom (afternoon show) Dress Rehearsal (yes costumes! (younger dancers may be able to leave around 8:45pm)
Wed. June 5th at the HETT: 4-6:30pm Welcome to the 80’s (afternoon show) dress rehearsal for jazz, tap, modern, Broadway in costumes) 6:30-10pm Don’t Just Dance – Move the World (evening show) dress rehearsal for jazz, tap, modern, adult tap, and Int/Adv Broadway)
Please arrive 30 minutes prior to rehearsal to change into costume
Thur. June 6th at DANCESTATION: 4:30-7pm The Jewel Kingdom (evening show – no costumes), 7:30-9:30 Int and Adv B-way Rehearsal IF NEEDED
Contact Info: If you need to talk to me personally – my home phone is 618-667-1912.
We only use the line as an answering service, so just leave me a message and I will call you back as soon as I can. Even better, you can email me at:
Recital pictures and DVD’s will be available at Open House. Can’t wait to see you all!
Thanks, Elizabeth Conway, owner/director of DanceStation