Announcements/Reminders: Lots and lots of information—PLEASE READ ON!!! And try to hold on to this newsletter – it is highlighted just for your child!
Last day to order tights through the studio is this Friday, May 13th. I can get them for $10 which is usually a few dollars less than in the local dance stores. However, feel free to get tights on your own if you wish. No shiny tights please.
**Reminder: There IS class on Monday, May 30th, Memorial Day.
- Picture Day is Sunday, June 5th. Pictures times will run from 9am – 6:30pm here at the studio. We would appreciate it very much if you would show up for the group pictures, even if you choose not to buy any. The picture schedule will be posted by the front door.
- Dress Rehearsal (means in costume!) for Under The Sea and La Boutique Fantasque afternoon and evening ballets is on Friday, June 10th, at McKendree University’s Hettenhausen Center for the Arts. Maps are available in the waiting room the week before the show. Please arrive 20 minutes early to each rehearsal with hair and make-up done and students should change into their costumes once they arrive. Times have changed slightly since the last newsletter:
Friday, June 10th: Under the Sea/When I Grow Up: 12-3pm
La Boutique Fantasque (afternoon show) 3:30-6:30pm
La Boutique Fantasque (evening show) 7-10pm
** again this year** We needed to spread our dress rehearsals out over two days this year, because the 14 hour Friday dress rehearsal is just too long. Dancers in Jazz/Tap/Modern and Broadway in both the afternoon and evening shows will have their Dress Rehearsal for those dances at the Hett on Thursday night this year.
Thursday, June 9th_- Summer Vacation 4-6:30pm
Thursday, June 9th And the Beat Goes On 6:30-9:30pm
- Recital Day is Saturday, June11th at McKendree University. Please arrive 30 minutes before the performance and change into costumes once you arrive. Show times are:
Under the Sea/When I Grow Up 11:30 AM
La Boutique Fantasque/Summer Vacation 2:30 PM
La Boutique Fantasque/And the Beat Goes On 6:30 PM
- Tickets. Unfortunately tickets prices have risen this year, although not by very much. McKendree has significantly increased their venue fees this year, and I cannot cover the rise without doing so. The auditorium is definitely worth it, and I do not charge a recital fee or have kids sell ads for programs, so I’m still way below what most studios charge for recitals. Also, I try to save everyone a lot of money on costumes (ask around…at most studios you will spend at least double what you do here). Tickets will be on sale at the front desk the week before the recital. Adult tickets are $15 and children (under 12) are $10. Please do not lose your tickets – or you will have to buy new tickets to enter. Sorry! Just like any movie theater or performance hall, you will have to buy new tickets if you lose them or leave them at home.
- Parents/guardians will need to pay for the 5th/June installment before you purchase your recital tickets. Once the recital is over, families take vacations and it can be difficult to track down missing payments. Most common June question: Why are you paying for a full month? It is because tuition is calculated by the semester and then broken down into five equal payments for your convenience.
- Sign-up sheets for recital DVD’s and flowers will be in the waiting room later in May. You must prepay by June 10th (dress rehearsal day) to have a DVD ordered for you. Flower payments are not due until the day of the recital (upon pick-up).
Also back by popular demand, the still picture DVD slide-show is available to those interested. It will have up-close, still photographs of each dance and also some backstage pictures as well. Examples of the pictures are hanging in the waiting room.
- Recital t-shirt orders. We are offering simple recital t-shirts for each show for $20 each. This is not a mandatory purchase, but a lot of the kids like to wear the t-shirts over the summer and our dancer logo is printed on the front of the kids shows. The deadline to order a t-shirt is Friday, May 20th.
Parents can write tuition, DVD, picture CD, tights, recital t-shirts, and remaining costume balance all on one check – but please write in the memo section what you are paying for. Thanks!! ? Pictures and Flowers are paid for separately.
- Sign-up sheets for our summer sessions/camps are also in the waiting room. We have some fun classes, the very popular kid’s camps (the kids camp like ‘Rock Through the Ages’ was really well received last year!), and many guest teachers this summer. Please sign up by the end of May so we can have enrollment numbers for each session!
- Full cast rehearsals The last week before the recital there are no regularly scheduled classes. We have a few extra practices here at the studio before we move to the Hett on Thursday. Because each ballet tells a story, we need to have full rehearsals (some dress rehearsals) here at the studio before we get to the stage at McKendree. This is very a busy week, but it all finishes in nicely polished/professional shows. ? please make good use of street parking during the large rehearsals and picture day
Mon. June 6th at DanceStation: 4-5pm Bway Jr, 5-8pm La Boutique Fantasque (evening show no costumes), 8-9 SSDC rehearsal
Tues. June 7th at DanceStation: 4-6pm Under the Sea/When I Grow Up (no costumes)
However, all students will need both ballet and tap shoes.
6:30-9:15pm La Boutique (afternoon show) Dress Rehearsal (yes costumes!)
Wed. June 8th at DanceStation: 4-7 La Boutique (evening show) Dress Rehearsal (yes costumes!), 7:30-9:30 Int and Adv B-way Dress Rehearsal (yes costumes!)
Thur. June 9th at the Hett: 4-6:30pm Summer Vacation (afternoon show) Dress Rehearsal (jazz, tap, modern, broadway costumes)
. 6:30-9:30pm And the Beat Goes On (evening show) Dress Rehearsal
Costume instructions will be passed out when the costumes arrive later in May. Recital week is often confusing for new families. Please call, email, or come find me with any questions. ? Have a wonderful month – see you at the recital!!! Thanks, Elizabeth
SSDC 2016-2017 Auditions SSDC is our student based pre-professional company that is open to all students in Ballet 5 and up. We rehearse on Wednesday evenings and Saturday afternoons from September – mid November. All company members will rehearse in the evenings the week before regular dance classes begin as part of their choreography week to learn pieces for the fall concert. We also ask members to take the DanceStation Intensive held at the end of beginning of August. The SSDC perforformance is Sat, Nov. 19th. Auditions for next year are from 5-6:30pm, Fri. June 3rd. Students should wear pink full-footed tights, a black leotard, and have their hair in a bun. The audition will consist of ballet and jazz combinations. Generally the younger students perform in 2-3 pieces, and the older students in 4 or more. If you have any questions please ask Elizabeth or a current SSDC member and we would be happy to tell you more. ?