December Nutcracker Reminders
Nutcracker is right around the corner! The performances should prove to be a very magical weekend for dancers, parents, and guests alike! Our dancers have two mandatory dress rehearsals coming up, as per the permission slip everyone signed to perform in our Nutcracker performances. Please have your dancer come with their hair in a performance ready bun, dressed in a solid-colored leotard and pink tights, bring ballet shoes in their bags. Dancers will change in and out of costume in the dressing room for rehearsal and pictures. A few of our SSDC volunteer moms help the littles that day, you just drop them off!
Saturday, Decemeber 4th – 11am – 6pm – we have a Dress Rehearsal and Pictures at the studio
11am-1pm Party scene – parents, grandparents, boys, and girls in the party scene, Clara, Fritz, Drosselmeyer, the three dancing dolls, soldiers, the Nutcracker, the Mouse Queen, and Mon 5:15pm class of Mice
1-2pm – soldiers, Tues 4:30pm class of Mice, Snowflakes, Ballet 2 Mon 6:30 Angels and Ballet 4 Wed 6:30 Angels, Thur 5pm Bubble Gum, Thur 6pm Gingerbread
2-3pm – soldiers, Thur 7pm class of Mice, Wed Ballet 3 Angels, Mon 6pm Bubble Gum, Mon 5pm Gingerbread
3-4pm – Tues 5pm Bubble gum, Tues 6pm Gingerbread, Wed 6:30pm Lemon Drops, Wed Ballet 2 Angels
4-6pm – Candy Canes, Mother Ginger, Arabian, Spanish, Chinese, Reed Flutes, Waltz of the Flowers and SSDC finale.
Thursday, December 9th – Dress Rehearsal at the Hett. 4-9:30pm. This rehearsal is 100% mandatory for your child to perform in the show(s). There are no regular classes at DanceStation that Thursday evening since we will all be at the Hett.
4:30-5:30pm – (arrive at 4pm) Mice, Angels, Bubble Gum, Gingerbread in the Fri 6:30pm performance
5:30-6:30pm – (arrive at 5pm) Mice, Angels, Bubble Gum, Gingerbread, Lemondrops in the Sat 6:30pm performance
6:30-7:15pm – (arrive at 6pm) Mice, Angels, Bubble Gum, Gingerbread in the Sun 2pm performance
7:30-9:30pm (arrive at 7pm) run show in order with Party Scene first and all classes Ballet 5 and older (Candy Canes, Arabian, Mother Ginger, Snow, Flowers, all SSDC parts). Candy Canes will be done around 9pm.
A few very important last-minute standard performance reminders and a checklist before the shows begin:
- Arrive 30-45 minutes early before the start of your performance. The house/audience will also open at this time. Everyone entering the building will have to be masked, per the rules of the Hett. This is our first full audience performance in 2 years, and we are thrilled to be able to support our dancers! Please advise all members in your party about masking ahead of time, and if you know they will cause a problem – invite them to watch the DVD instead. The Hett is a private business, and we need to respect their rules. Dancers will remain backstage with supervision the entire show, they will remove their masks backstage so we can see their smiling faces on stage! The shows are sold out, but they do release season ticket holder unused seats from time to time. If you still need a ticket, it’s worth checking with them even on the morning of each show.
- Hair should be up in a bun before arriving at the venue. Mice: we decided to do low buns, instead of high, because of the costume. Makeup is the same as recitals. Eyeshadow, blush, and lipstick for sure. Mascara is at your own risk with the littles. 😊 I always post a bun tutorial on our Facebook page before dress rehearsals. Look for it this week!
- No jewelry or any earrings. Jewelry often gets caught on costumes and reflects the lights during videography.
- Absolutely no eating while in costume. Only water is allowed in the dressing rooms and while in costume. Please make sure students eat before coming to the show. The full show runs 2 hours total – that includes a 20 min intermission – so they won’t be without food for long.
- No gum.
- No nail polish is to be worn.
- No underwear worn under the costume. Tights serve this purpose. We don’t want to see Sponge Bob or Hello Kitty under their costumes.
- Arrive in leotard and pink tights that are freshly laundered without holes. Dancers will change into costumes when they arrive.
- Do not forget your pink ballet shoes. Black or white ballet shoes for the boys, or black dress shoes for party boys.
- Costumes are all rented and may not leave the venue.
If you have any questions, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or ask your teacher. Especially for new
families, these last two weeks can be confusing, so ask away! ON TO THE SHOW! Thanks! Elizabeth