December Nutcracker Reminders
Nutcracker is right around the corner! The performances should prove to be a very magical weekend for dancers, parents, and guests alike! Tights that were ordered are going home in class this week and Nutcracker sweatshirts will be ready for pickup this Saturday at Dress rehearsal. Nutcracker dvd’s and class pictures can still be ordered at Saturday’s at dress rehearsal.
Our dancers have two mandatory dress rehearsals coming up, as per the permission slip everyone signed to perform in our Nutcracker performances. Please have your dancer come with their hair in a performance ready bun, dressed in a solid-colored leotard and pink tights, bring ballet shoes in their bags. Dancers will change in and out of costume in the dressing room for rehearsal and class pictures. Our SSDC dancers and volunteer moms help the littles at the Dec. 9th dress rehearsal. You can just drop them off!
Saturday, Decemeber 9th – Dress Rehearsal and Pictures at the studio. Arrive at rehearsal time. Light makeup is fine for class pictures, but no full makeup is needed for this day.
10am-12pm Party scene – parents, boys, and girls in the party scene, Clara, Fritz, Drosselmeyer, the three dancing dolls, soldiers, the Nutcracker, the Mouse King
11am – 12pm Tues 4:30pm class of Mice
12-1pm – Wed Ballet 3 Angels, Mon 6:15pm Bubble Gum, Mon 5:15pm Gingerbread
1-2pm – all soldiers, Wed 6:15pm class of Mice, Tues Ballet 2 Angels, Tues 5pm Bubble Gum, Tues 5:45pm Gingerbread
2-3pm – Thur 6:45pm class of Mice, Thur 5pm Bubble gum, Thur 5:45pm Gingerbread, Mon Ballet 2 Angels
3-5pm – Snow and Snow queen, Candy Canes, Mother Ginger, Arabian, Spanish, Chinese, Reed Flutes, Waltz of the Flowers and SSDC finale.
Thursday, December 14th – mandatory Dress Rehearsal at the Hett. 4-9:30pm. There are no regular classes at DanceStation that Thursday evening, since we will all be at the Hett.
4:30-5:30pm – (arrive at 4pm) Mice, Angels, Bubble Gum, Gingerbread in the Fri 6:30pm performance
5:30-6:30pm – (arrive at 5pm) Mice, Angels, Bubble Gum, Gingerbread in the Sat 2pm performance
6:30-7:30pm – (arrive at 6pm) Mice, Angels, Bubble Gum, Gingerbread in the Sat 6:30pm performance
7:30-9:30pm (arrive at 7pm) run show in order with Party Scene first and all classes Ballet 4 and older (Candy Canes, Arabian, Mother Ginger, Snow, Flowers, all SSDC parts).
A few very important last-minute standard performance reminders and a checklist before the shows begin:
- Arrive 45 minutes before the start of your performance. The house/audience will also open at this time. Dancers will remain backstage with supervision throughout the entire show. The shows are sold out, but they do release season ticket holder unused seats from time to time. If you still need a ticket, it’s worth checking with the Hett even on the morning of each show. Also check the dry erase board in the lobby in case people are selling extra tickets, they usually post it there.
- Hair should be up in a bun before arriving at the venue. Mice: we decided to do low buns, instead of high, because of the costume. Makeup is the same as recitals. Eyeshadow, blush, and lipstick for sure. Mascara is at your own risk with the littles. 😊 I always post a bun tutorial on our Facebook page before dress rehearsals. Look for it this week!
- No jewelry or any earrings. Jewelry often gets caught on costumes and reflects the lights during videography.
- Absolutely no eating while in costume. Only water is allowed in the dressing rooms and while in costume. Please make sure students eat before coming to the show. The full show runs 2 hours total – that includes a 20 min intermission – so they won’t be without food for long.
- No gum.
- No nail polish is to be worn for the stage.
- No underwear worn under the costume. Tights serve this purpose. We don’t want to see Sponge Bob or Hello Kitty under their costumes.
- Arrive in leotard and pink tights that are freshly laundered without holes. Dancers will change into costumes when they arrive.
- Do not forget your pink ballet shoes. Black or white ballet shoes for the boys, or black dress shoes for party boys.
- Costumes are all rented and may not leave the venue.
If you have any questions, you can email me at email@example.com or ask your teacher. Especially for new families, these last two weeks can be confusing, so ask away! ON TO THE SHOW! Thanks! Elizabeth
On Nutcracker years, instead of flowers, MY SSDC dancers sell Nutrackers in the lobby of the Hett. It has become a beloved tradition and our DanceStation dancers get first chances at reserving their favorite Nutcracker the night of dress rehearsal. Just head to the lobby of the Hett at the Thur Dec. 14th dress rehearsal to browse the selection!